Thank you, Vera, for tagging me to share 20 random facts about myself. Let me know if you knew any of these beforehand!
- I’m an iPhone devotee as you may guessed from what I wrote in the last thankful post. I would never have guessed that after getting my first one I’d find it impossible to switch brands but here we are. I’m certain Apple has done juju on me. To switch things up I’m contemplating getting a white phone next time—scary!
- None of the windows in my house have curtains, including my bedroom windows. A few days ago I came out of the bathroom after showering and I think the people whose backyard faces mine could see me! I dropped to the floor behind my bed and hastily grabbed some clothing before crawling back into the bathroom to dress up—with the door closed!
- I prefer to drive barefoot or in socks.
- Starbucks is my coffee shop of choice—my signature hot drink is a Peppermint White Mocha, no whip and no foam; my cold drink of choice is a Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino, no whip.
- I hate killing bugs and flies so I chase them around with the vacuum and suck them up. I wasn’t smart initially, so the flies would just escape from the vacuum, but now I block the possible exits with kleenex and turn on the vacuum until the centripetal force kills them. It takes longer this way but at least I don’t have to endure the feeling of a dead bug on my hand or in a tissue or napkin that I’m holding. (OMG: that is the first time I’ve ever used “centripetal force” in a sentence—I guess high school education is good for something!)
- I wear a lot of black. My car is black. My mom is not a fan.
- I know the alphabet in sign language.
- I’m a champion worrier—I worry for the first five seconds after I get a call from my mom and I worry when I don’t hear from her! It’s gotten so bad that when my mom calls she’ll say “Hi THERE’S NO PROBLEM…” before telling me why she’s calling. I’m working on this!
- I’m severely myopic (near sighted): when I got my last pair of glasses the optician said he’d never seen such a strong prescription before.
- I’ve gotten a few parking tickets for violating bylaws that people only learn about when they violate them, and one speeding ticket. The parking tickets infuriated me but the speeding ticket scared me because I had never been stopped by a cop before—I was shaking like a leaf!
- My favourite cereal is Mini Wheats (the brown sugar flavour)—I could eat it every morning.
- I’ve been a maid of honour once and a bridesmaid twice—in all cases they were for non-Nigerian weddings.
- I love tea, preferably herbal. Flavour-wise, it’s a tie between peppermint and lemon.
- I rarely sit at my dining room table for meals—I eat on my couch! The only exception is pancakes: any meal requiring a knife and fork needs a table!
- I want(ed) a nose ring for a long time but I think I’m over that…I think.
- I keep all my receipts of credit card purchases and then check them against the monthly statement that’s mailed to me—this makes me feel like an old lady but I love doing it!
- I will waste a few hours to save a few dollars—I haven’t fully learned the “time is money” thing yet!
- Lip balm, hand cream, and my phone are daily essentials.
- My favourite plants are succulents—plants with thick leaves that store water. I have at least 10 varieties but I don’t know all their names.
- I’m addicted to buying domains (e.g. www.website.com): I currently own 17 domains; this does not include the 11 domains that I’ve gotten rid of over the years. When I think of something that sounds clever, I check if the domain has been purchased and if not, I buy it. Usually within a few weeks I realize it isn’t that clever and I let it go.
Random, right? If you just read this list, I tag you to share ONE random fact about you—make it something good!
Want my monthly messages?
Subscribe for a monthly, often personal, message from Good Naija Girl.