If you live in North America, what do you usually do on Saturday mornings around 10am? And if you’re in the UK or in Nigeria, what do you usually do on Saturday afternoons, around 2 or 3pm?
If the answer is:
- help the less fortunate
- save the world
you have been wasting your time! What you should be doing is listening to Verastically Speakin’, Vera‘s Radio talkshow. You don’t have to wait until Saturday to find out what this radio show is all about: you can listen to the shows that aired earlier at your own leisure.
This coming Saturday I will be participating on the panel called Female, Accomplished, Over 30, & SINGLE, and I’m honoured that Vera was so desperate that she actually had to beg me to join. It seems once she started looking for people to guest host, all the women were only 29. I think I was cheated though: Vera actually went to beg Tigeress in person, while I agreed by email. Next time I will hold out for more than an email! I have learned my lesson. But let’s give a big hand to Tigeress, who turns 30 this Friday, just one day before the radio show (she still qualifies for the show o, since she will be one day over 30 by Saturday). Maybe we should start the show off by singing Happy Birthday to her.
There are a couple other guest speakers, including one guy (so far…), so it’ll be interesting to see how the discussion goes. From the poll on Vera’s site, it looks like the idea is to discuss why women who are 30 years of age or over and accomplished single, but there are a lot of questions that can be asked:
- Is being single something that should be avoided, and is that why after a certain age (like 30), people start getting worried on your behalf?
- What about women who enjoy their own company and have never felt the desire to be in a relationship or to get married?
- Does society put too much pressure on men and women to be at a certain stage in life by a certain age?
- Are these women too picky?
- If a woman in her 30s or older is still single, does this mean there is there something wrong with her?
- What about the biological clock factor?
Don’t let the above scare you: I don’t plan to monopolize the whole discussion. I’ll be too busy taking notes on how to change my single status, or evaluating the voices of male callers to see if they sound single.
Want my monthly messages?
Subscribe for a monthly, often personal, message from Good Naija Girl.