When midnight struck today, my sister gave me a Happy Birthday squeeze and I thanked God for the honour of reaching 33 years of life. Today is my birthday!
- I’m so thankful for the years that have gone by, and the accomplishments I’ve been able to celebrate along the way. I’m thankful that my parents are still on this earth and are doing everything they can to remain healthy so they can be here for many more years. I appreciate the way they love me and treat me as if I’m everything they could have hoped for in a child (even though I know I’m not!). I never doubt my parents’ love and that’s a gift I know not all enjoy.
- I appreciate my dad’s early morning text message (he lives 6 hours away) and my mom calling me from work at 10:30am (late, so I could sleep in) to sing Happy Birthday to me as she usually does. How blessed am I!? I’m looking forward to having dinner with my mom, sister, and my brothers if they’re around.
- I’m thankful for the good health I and my siblings enjoy, and the relationship I have with them (not perfect but at least there is one!).
- I thank God for my friends. Many have left messages on my Facebook page or called me (or both). Even though the friendships have changed over the years, I am thankful for each person who has touched my life in some way, and taught me something about life (even if I haven’t fully realized what I’ve learned yet!).
- The icing on the cake: today is a beautiful, bright day. Sunny days are my favourite–what a nice gift!
I’m thankful, but I’m also introspective. 33. My life is not what I thought it would be by this age. I was certain that marriage and children would be a part of my life by now. Weight loss is also a longtime goal. I’d also love to be an online entrepreneur.
Over the past year (and in previous years) I’ve been disappointed with the progress in these areas that I’ve mentioned. I’ve felt sorry for myself many times but I’m thankful that whenever I’ve been down, there’s always been something to lift my spirits. I can’t recall being down for even three days in a row in my whole life…I’m blessed. I just need to find a solid plan to make things happen and I’m hoping that’s part of the wisdom that’ll come with being 33.
Want my monthly messages?
Subscribe for a monthly, often personal, message from Good Naija Girl.