June is my favourite month of the year and not just because it’s my birthday month! Summer in Canada officially begins in June and if you lived in Ottawa, where the winters are long and c-o-l-d, you’d understand why summer is such a big deal (full disclosure: it did hail yesterday—yup, ice pellets—so summer isn’t off to the warmest start but we have hope). It’s time for another Thankful post so let’s get started!
- I’m thankful for my sister and her husband’s accomplishments while my mom and I were in Nigeria: they worked on things that will move them forward as a family and it was great to come back and celebrate with them. There’s so much happening in that family to give God thanks for and I look forward to sharing Continue reading
Welcome to March 30; just one more day before the first quarter of 2017 is over! Can you believe it?!?? I hope you’re having a good year so far; as for me, I’ve been struggling, but don’t worry: this isn’t a depressing post! Some people are bored by lives that feel empty and meaningless, meanwhile it’s the excess of wonderful relationships that I want to cultivate and things that I want to accomplish that’s causing much of the struggle within me and I’ve decided that it’s a good problem to have, even though right now there isn’t much that I think I’m doing very well. I thank God because I believe that I will find solutions that’ll work for me. The experts rightly say we should focus on one thing at a time and I can see the benefits of that method when I look at all the incomplete projects in my life. It amazes me at times that I’ve found a way to survive in the midst of the chaos but that’s God for you.
This month’s thankful post would have been longer had I written down things as they happened. Instead I was sure I’d remember them all (note to self: you won’t). Please join me in thanking God for the following occurrences this month. Continue reading
February in my corner of the world was wicked weather-wise but God brought us through—I’m declaring by faith that we’re through—a rough winter. There’s technically about a month of winter left but the worst must be behind us—the fact that there’s more sunlight each day makes it easy to believe that good weather is on its way. This month I took a leap of faith on the business front and invested time and a little bit of money in a business idea that I had been thinking about for several months. You might be thinking, Why did it take you so long to go for it?! but it actually took me a lot less time than it usually does to reach a decision (especially since a little money was involved!) so that’s the part I’m thankful for. One of my favourite children—who happens to be a Valentine’s Day baby!—celebrated her … Continue reading
So far, 2017 is that overachieving friend who manages to fit 36 hours worth of things into a 24-hour period, while looking healthy and well-rested, making you look and feel like a complete lazybones. I’m trying not to hate on this fresh new year but it may soon need to be a prayer point. Before I forget myself let me start by giving thanks on this Thankful Thursday for that fact that the first month of 2017 is almost behind us and I’m still here! You’re still here! Yes! Praise God.
- This may sound a little geeky but I’ve been waiting to share this thankful point since January 2016, a whole year ago: Continue reading
It’s the last Thursday of the year and we’re still here! Thank God for this wonderful gift of life.
2016 has been an interesting year—some awesome things happened to people around me and while it didn’t go as I had hoped, there’s so much to be thankful for, like good health, protection (in Nigeria this past summer and also as I went out and about locally, jumping in and out of my car at odd hours sometimes #nightowl). More specifically for December:
- A good friend had her third child three weeks early but mom and baby are both doing well and were able to leave the hospital several hours after the delivery.
- I was a co-emcee at our local Yoruba association’s end-of-year party and I sounded less nervous than I usually do AND I actually did some unscripted talk that went over really well; definitely a thankful point!
- I am thankful for provision: not once this year did I have to worry about how I would pay for something that I needed; I never had to compromise my needs due to the inability to afford something—such a blessing.
Happy Thanksgiving to you if you’re US-based! Regardless of where you live, I hope that you have plenty to be thankful for.
I love that American Thanksgiving always falls on the last Thursday of the month because that means I’ll always be posting a Thankful post around Thanksgiving. Given my love of many parts of the “traditional” Thanksgiving meal (listed in order of preference: stuffing, turkey, mashed potatoes), I want to start taking advantage of being American (by birth) and celebrate Thanksgiving in November (in addition to Canada’s October celebration).
There are several things that I’m thankful for this month, so let’s get started.