If you’re new to these parts, you should know that on the last Thursday of every month, I share a thankful post. Developing a habit of intentional thankfulness has been one of the best things I’ve done, and almost every morning when I wake up I say to God “Thank you for another day on your earth”—some days it’s the only prayer I say before getting on with my day. It’s really hard to have a bad day when you start it off by recognizing that being alive is a gift that isn’t promised to everyone. Here are the big and small things that stood out for me in November.
- Earlier in the month, I went to buy my lunch, and the place where I went was having a promotion where if you used a certain method of payment, you got a bonus treat. Well, if you don’t know me, “free bonus” is my love language so I was very keen to take part. I used the recommended method of payment but guess what? The bonus didn’t work! Apparently I had to have previously activated something (#notimpressed) so I left without my bonus. When I got back to work my boss came over to me and he gave me the exact bonus I had been trying to get! The timing is what stunned me; it’s like he was behind me in the food place and had seen my situation (he wasn’t and he hadn’t)—so I’m thankful for that timing…just a small reminder that God’s always looking out for us.
- This month I decided to stop taking my health for granted and develop eating habits that will serve me well in the long (long) run. The journey hasn’t been easy so far but I know it’ll be rewarding and I’m looking forward to reaching my destination, hopefully before next year is through.
- Early last week my friends gave birth to a healthy baby girl, and the mom is doing well too. So many things can go wrong throughout a pregnancy and delivery, especially when you have a health condition that could add to the complexity of things. But I thank God that all is well. I got to see the little baby live this past weekend and she’s a cutie!
- I’m thankful that I finally released my first (FREE!) ebook! If you haven’t gotten your copy, get it here! This has been a long time coming and moving forward I will not let 22 months go by between creation and release.
- I’m also thankful that I’ve finally stopped hiding and am now offering services on my website—check out my work with me page. In the newsletter that I’ll be sending in a few days I’ll be sharing what has led me to finally take action after being so slow to implement my entire life. I think it’ll be helpful to you so if you haven’t already, sign up to receive my monthly newsletters!
- I got a client who needed editing help last week so I thank God for that.
- I’ve been watching three shows—Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder—every week since September and last week I was sad that all three shows were taking a 12-week break but now I’m elated! I get back three hours every week and I plan to put them to good use!
- How many thirty-six-year-old women have their mom helping them with their hair? I will soon get my natural hair sorted but in the meantime I thank God for my loving mom who begs me to let her do my hair just so I don’t have to worry about it during the week. This past weekend I asked her if she ever thought that 19 years after she stopped doing my hair she’d be back at it. She laughed and said she’s happy to do it. I’m blessed beyond words.
- My youngest brother who’s never had a broken bone in his life had to have surgery to repair a bone that wasn’t healing properly and none of the family was around to help him (because it “wasn’t a big deal” and he lives five hours away). I’m thankful that he had plenty of support to ensure that he got where he needed to be and back, and that God was with the surgeon and that the surgery went well. I can’t wait to see my brother at Christmas—I haven’t seen him since August!
- Today is Thanksgiving in the USA and I wish my US-based friends and readers a very Happy Thanksgiving! May you always have something to give thanks for.
How was your November? What are you most thankful for this month?