There has been so much to be thankful for over the past few months, though I haven’t given thanks publicly in a while. The biggest thing that I’m thankful for is not knowing what the future holds. It’s weird for me to say that because for so long I’ve wanted a hint or two about what was going to happen in some key areas of my life. If I just knew that marriage was part of my future, I’d be so much more patient waiting for the right guy, I’d say. If I’m meant to be single then I could stop worrying about it and just live my life, I’ve thought. But a recent experience taught me that I have to just trust that things will work out in the best way, and that it’ll be a result that I’ll be able to manage. In the meantime my job is to channel my inner Oprah and live my best life. Deep down we know it’s not advisable to put your life on hold waiting for something to happen but I’ve done it. I’m making a more conscious effort not to do that any more so I’m thankful for that. I’m sure before long I’ll be wishing for the ability to predict the future again but for now I’m happy to let things unfold as they are meant to.
That being said, I’m also thankful that:
- I met all my family members in Nigeria in good health
- neither my mom, sister nor I had any serious illness while we were in Nigeria
- I got to meet six online friends while I was there (Seye, Miss Balance, Funke, Nkiru, Dapo and Deola (and her cousin Kunle)
- we got through the airport check-in on the way back with far fewer hassles than two years ago
- I’ve been keeping in touch with family and friends, new and old, more consistently (so far!)
- my (fake) Christmas tree has been set up and cheering me up for the past five days:
My sister is going through a challenging situation, but I can already see how the experience is making her into an even stronger person and revealing some things to her about herself that she didn’t know. If you think of it, please pray that she looks back on November and December 2010 as life changing in a very positive way.
Have a great weekend everyone!